Friday, March 04, 2005

I heart Rob Thomas

obligatory artist shot II

So rob thomas was up at the station, something that excited me greatly. Believe it or not, and mock me if you may, but I've been a matchbox 20 fan for quite a long time now, and I have the beatup copy of "yourself or someone like you" (and of course everything after) in my cd case to prove it. Rob was always one of the people that I wanted to meet, and I would hope would come through work sooner or later, and I got my wish. I can leave a happy man now. Anyway, let me tell you something about rob, which you may or may not know... He is probably one of the most down-to-earth, nicest, well-spoken guy out there, and I'm not just talking artists, but people in general. He's the kind of guy you'd love to have as your friend and hang with at the bar for a while. Along with my boss, we were shooting the shit (that means conversing to the kids out there) probably for 15 minutes, and just listening to him talk was quite enthralling. I believe we got on the topic of how as a celebrity, you have to appreciate your fame, and can't use it as an exuse to act as if you're better than everyone else (at least in a nutshell that is). He mentioned how all these big names that have lasted for so many years are pleasant and down-to-earth in person and talk with their fans, because they know and appreciate who made them who they are. I think after our little conversation yesterday, how brief it may have been, I've gained a little more respect for him. I know I've only been at this station for a short time, but I've seen my share of artists pass through, and not everybody shares this view or practices it. You have someone like Eminem, who feels the need to fly over by helicopter from new york city, with one helicopter for half his security entourage, and then specially resquests Taco Bell in the studio, and then just acts like he's the shit. Yes, that may work for him, but doesn't say much about him as a person. Or I look at someone like Chad Michael Murray, who I never met personally, but heard from coworkers that he's a tool. It's just nice to know that there are celebs out there who act as if they're just like everyone else, because in a way, they are.

But anyway, as you saw above, I had to get my picture with Rob to add to the collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home