Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Hellos. Goodbyes. Reunions.

So this past weekend (friday night to be exact) was the much anticipated CNS reunion/Dr. Dave Burns going away party. A reuinion of my alma mater within my alma mater. Not sure how to describe it... bizarre, weird, bittersweet. It's hard to echo sentiments that I can't even explain. Just driving through college park brought a tear to my eye. I was one of the select few who decided to stop by the newsroom beforehand for the taping of the last show. It was almost as if nothing changed except the people around me, with exception of the teachers. I realized, pretty much then, that it had been about 2 years since I was last there, quite the long time. The party afterwards was just the same. Disappointingly, only one person from my cns crew showed, although it was good to see kate since the wedding, but having lived a majority of my college career in that newsroom, seeing people from other years was just as cool. And of course, who could forget the beloved crew of UMTV (in no particular order)... Woody, Paul, Chau, Erin, Francis, Tim. Everyone has gone off to do their own thing, we've all changed, but we're still bonded by this common experience within the basement of the Tawes Fine Arts Building.

Now, to echo Chau's sentiments, since it was Dave's going away, it was hard to say goodbye to him. I wanted to pull him aside and tell him how great of a teacher he was, and whether or not any innate talent lies within me, he taught me so much. Of all the classes I sat through, his was probably the most rewarding, extending beyond your basic rack focus, leading line. All the awards I got for photography he was respobsible for. He was a great man, and he will be missed. Those Dubaians don't know what they're getting.


The rest of the weekend was spent at Matty's. Figured I made the trip, why drive all the way back to NJ. To sum it up, Cluck-U, watched movies taken may 2002, bought super old movies for a dollar and a coat but passed over a casual blazer, was overtaken by my cold, reminisced in college park, ate at ratsie's for the first time, went to DC, WALKED, smoked a cigar down the mall, saw the WWII memorial, took some pictures and realized I need a new digital camera, ate at an overrated family-style italian restaurant... awkward moments.... decorated matt's christmas tree, drove home.

Pictures to come

Woof!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home