Thursday, July 01, 2004

Crazy glue

There's a crack in my windshield

It's as such where I notice it quite often. It's as such where I find myself distracted by it at times. Sometimes the sun will catch it just right, and I'll be blinded, and I'll lose sight of the road for a second, but just for a second.

It's hard to look past something that's right in front of you. It's kind of like mismatched wallpaper. You just stare at it all the time. You know exactly where it is. And if it's right in front of you, you try and adjust your eyes where you see through it, but most often to no avail. Try not to think about it. Try not to think about it, and you wont see it. But it's there

I know how it got started, I know why it's there. Someone kicked up something and it flew right into my windshield. I believe it was a stone, usually is. There's a nick where it first hit. I actually remember the exact time it happened. In my mind that is, and not exactly. Just like that usual flash of memory where you remember something happened. Funny thing about something like that... things get kicked up all the time, and you freak out initially when they hit you, maybe with an expletive at the unknowing person on the giving end, but you can never anticipate the actual damage that has been caused.

It grew, in length that is. And no, that's now what she said. I marked it with a marker when I first noticed it, about an inch from the top of my windshield. It's grown a lot. It's funny how time can make things worse. Time, and the environmental conditions around you. I've tried not to agitate it, but I can only do so much.

Interesting thing about cracks, in most instances, not counting any scientific phenomenon, cracks are irreparable. Sure you can mend them in a way, stop them in their tracks, stop the damage from spreading, but it's hard to reverse the damage. What's done is done. It's not even like a scar, it's a crack. It cant be filled in, it's there. Just ask Ben Franklin (some attempt at a liberty bell reference), or a plumber. I suppose it can be replaced, but it's not an easy task. What about my rear view mirror? My ezpass velcro? My jiffy lube oil change reminder? There's a lot of history to that windshield.

Another interesting thing about the windshield, different from your average glass item, there's that protective layer of plastic that keeps the glass from shattering all over me, that keeps me from serious harm, that keeps my windshield ultimately intact, depite the crack. A sort of skin, and a tough one at that.

So it continues to spread. Somedays more than others. You don't really notice it, but over time, the damage can add up. It's come a long way from the mark I made... it's come a long way from the first chip. But there's plenty more to go, and it can go at any moment, in any direction it choses. It already made one sharp turn. It can make another. It has a mind of it's own. Like I said, I can only do so much.

How many of you have cracks in your windshield or know those who do? Chances are, you know of what I speak...

There's a crack in my windshield

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home